The Langford Works has been extracting water from the Rivers Chelmer, Ter and Blackwater and supplying water to Southend-on-Sea since the late 1920s. The pumping station originally powered by steam delivered purified water to Oakwood Reservoir. To maintain an efficient water supply to the ever growing population a new electric plant came into operation in 1963 as part of an extension of the Hanningfield Raw Water Pumping Station. Problems renovating and difficulties with extensions of the pumping station and treatment plant half a mile away it seemed practical to construct a new works and in 1970 the new works were completed. Since, further expansion has taken place, the old pumping station is now home to the Museum of Power which is open to the general public, the old treatment plant was demolished.
Sea of Change - Southend-on-Sea.Southend Waterworks Company Langford Treatment Works Gallery.01:1968, 22 August, Under Construction, The New Treatment Works, Langford. 02:1968, 23 September, Under Construction, The New Treatment Works, Langford.
Sea of Change - Southend-on-Sea.Southend Waterworks Company Langford Gallery. 01:1926 Laying the mains for Southend’s Water supply from Langford to Oakwood Reservoir. 02:1929 Langford Works Entrance. 03:1929 Langford Pumping Station. 04:1929 Pumping Engines, Langford. 05:1929 Electric Generators and Switchboard, Langford. 06:1929 River Blackwater Intake for Langford Works. 07:1929 River Chelmer Intake for Langford Works. 08:1929 River Ter Intake for Langford Works. 09:1929 Storage Reservoir, Langford. 10:1961 Pumping Station, Langford Works. 11:1966 Aerial view of Langford Works. 12:1968 New Langford Works. 13:1968 New Langford Works under construction. 14:1968 New Langford Works Chemical House under construction. 15:1968 New Langford Works Chemical House under construction. 16:1968 New Langford Works Chemical House under construction. 17:1968 New Langford Works Filter Room under construction. 18:1970 New Pumping Station Langford. 19:1970 New Works at Langford under construction. 20:1970 One of disused Lilleshall engines Langford. 21:1978 Aerial view Langford Treatment Works and Reservoir.Images Subject to Copyright.